I spent quite a bit of time trying to researching on the internet on how to install ImageMagick on MediaTemple (dv) for use with MovableType. Much of what I used came from this article: How do I upgrade ImageMagick?
First, install developer tools on MediaTemple within the admin panel and allow root access.
I logged into the sever using SSH as the root.
I had intially used yum to install ImageMagick, but it installed a pretty old version that I needed to remove using:
yum remove ImageMagick
I downloaded a new version of ImageMagick, using:
Decompress the file and change to the directory.
tar -zxvf ImageMagick*.tar.gz
Once in the directory, I compiled and installed ImageMagick:
Tested ImageMagick (shouldn’t report an error):
convert logo: logo.gif
This didn’t seem to do anything for me, but didn’t report an error.
For me, after doing this, MovableType was still not recognizing ImageMagick but I found out from the MovableType forums that I needed to compile PerlMagick.
Remember the ImageMagick source tarball has PerlMagick (the perl modules and libraries MT requires) bundled with it. So once ImageMagick is installed, navigate to the PerlMagick directory inside of the source tarball and run as root:
I entered the PerlMagick directory which was inside the ImageMagick directory and entered the following commands:
echo /usr/local/lib >> /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ImageMagick.conf
I ran the make test and the make install and this time it worked!